Sunday, October 2, 2011

Social Media: Why in the world does it matter to me? (week 6)

Ever ask yourself why you should care about social media?

Do you HATE Facebook?

Or have you ever asked yourself, "what do I need a Twitter for"?

I know I have and I am willing to bet that many of you out there have at some point or still ask yourself, "Why in the world does this matter to me?"  


In short I think that the answer lies in the potential for networking.  Now of course many social mediums are also referred to as "social networks"  but what I am talking about is networking with people other than your friends, family, and acquaintances.

If done correctly having a presence in many social mediums can project a positive image of yourself and help to establish your own "personal brand" that can help to open doors to you in your personal and professional life.

I know of one friend in particular that largely because of his LinkedIn account and a personal website he created, landed two summer internships that in turn led to a great start to a career in computer programming and information systems.


So why does it matter?  Done well, our presence in social media can do some pretty great things for us and our future.


That's all I've got for now. Share your experiences with social media and how it has helped you land an internship or start your career after college and I will see you next week!


Addi's Daddy

1 comment:

  1. I would have to agree with you, there are so many different things that can land you the next job you are looking for. Of course there is a negative to this whole idea, if you are the one that is not posting the best pictures of yourself or if you are being a fool with your words on twitter or facebook it maybe the reason you don't get that next job. Along with everything there is a good and bad we just have to make sure it isnt abused and you will always reap the good out of it.

    ReplyDelete